Hi Bert,
If I understand your posts, you have trouble making a new homepage stick with four different browsers on your HP Chromebook and also for two or three years with other systems.
I can't recall any trouble setting homepages, so I googled and found nothing.
Maybe someone else uses your systems and changes the homepages? Seems unlikely, but I have to ask. (I once found how an office was being infected regularly by stopping by when the office manager's little boy was playing games on his mother's computer with an infected disk from school.)
Maybe you have a fleet of systems infected with the same malware? Also unlikely, but a changed homepage practically screams malware. (That's about all that google comes up with when asked why homepages change.)
Maybe some utility that you use occasionally on all your systems changes homepages as a side-effect? Again, unlikely, particularly since most utilities don't handle both Windows and PCs. (Some cleanup utilities do things to browsers that shouldn't be done.)
Maybe you're changing to a strange homepage whose address changes frequently? Very unlikely, and the browser should just give a 404 error or freeze until you fix it, not gracefully revert to the original homepage. (But what homepage are you setting? Have you tried setting something else as a test?)
Maybe you've discovered a secret method of setting a home page that lasts for only some random time? If so, you're doing it on four different browsers and are an evil computer genius. (But I really doubt that you're doing anything wrong in the simple option to set a home page because if it works once, it keeps on working until something comes along to change it.)
Maybe it's just a weird glitch in the HP Chromebook? Unlikely, since no one else seems to have trouble with it, and you're seeing it on other systems for the last two or three years.
I'm baffled, so I'd love to hear more details.
Cheers,
Carl Fogel