Posts: 2,316
Joined: April 2011
|
|
#66144
07/23/2015 9:27 AM
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
If one looks at the criteria for reserving Win 10, you must not be on a domain and have all updates installed and have SP1.
I have all these on three computers, but I cannot get the little icon to show up on my system tray.
Anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to why I am so stupid I can't get this to work. I know they are probably going to add a few more features before the official release, but I want to try anyway. I know Wendell has it. He is the ultimate early adopther.
The king of new software and trend setting. Taking the dive for all of us who do not dare.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 265
Member
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 265 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,370 Likes: 2
Member
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,370 Likes: 2 |
It's not there. From http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/windows-10-upgrade-notification-enable/"The Get Windows notification is delivered through an optional update, which was considered adware by some users. To check whether the optional update KB3035583 and KB2952664 (Windows 7) / KB2976978 (Windows 8.1) were installed, access Windows Update via a Windows search or the Control Panel" They also have how to pull down the notification or also see here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...58b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b?page=1&auth=1It's an optional update to get the notification. The other issue may be computers in domain do not seem to have received the update notice (at least on my system.)
Wendell Pediatrician in Chicago
The patient's expectation is that you have all the answers, sometimes they just don't like the answer you have for them
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
Domain computers cannot get the update. You would have to take the computer off the domain, do updates. Then reattach to the domain. Windows. 
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,211 Likes: 8
Member
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,211 Likes: 8 |
Windows 10 is not free for business use. It is assumed that machines on a domain are in a business so no, they do not get the update notification install. Furthermore, I doubt the likes of Ford, Guilford Mills, General Electric, et al would appreciate their user base getting a notification that a free upgrade to Windows 10 is on the way. http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/disabling-windows-10-upgrade-notificationJamesNT
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,811
Member
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,811 |
James,
For your average MS-ambivalent user, why would a user upgrade from W7 to W10?
I realize that the upgrade is free for the next year, but are there other pressing reason to upgrade before next spring?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
I don't think it is a big issue for any company bigger than an SMB. Most IT Admins are going to keep all users as non-local admins. Surely they would use group policy to stop any downloads much less an entire install.
I have heard from some pretty good sources that Windows 10 is worth the effort especially if upgrading from 8.1.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,211 Likes: 8
Member
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,211 Likes: 8 |
@Indy,
The top two reasons would be:
1. Hardware refresh. The machines are already 5+ years old.
2. To stay on a supported OS. Windows 7 is entering extended support and exiting mainstream support.
I'd say the biggest reason would be hardware refresh. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with Windows 7.
JamesNT
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,811
Member
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,811 |
@Indy,
The top two reasons would be:
1. Hardware refresh. The machines are already 5+ years old.
2. To stay on a supported OS. Windows 7 is entering extended support and exiting mainstream support.
I'd say the biggest reason would be hardware refresh. Otherwise, there is nothing wrong with Windows 7.
JamesNT We have NEVER had a client ask for W8, so we are still upgrading fresh machines (or ordering) with W7Pro. Many clients are buying new machines as part of their hardware refresh/upgrade process, but sticking with W7Pro with the obvious reasons. Microsoft will have to either provide a valid reason for practices to upgrade, or empty W7Pro from the market; "Just Trust Me" is no longer a valid answer from ANY VENDOR as to why a practice should take an upgrade.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,811
Member
|
Member
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,811 |
To be clear, wiping a fresh W8 machine and installing W7 is technically a back-UP-grade.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,316 Likes: 2
G Member
|
G Member
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,316 Likes: 2 |
I still don't get all the hate for Windows 8/8.1. I've thrown on classic shell and people don't notice the difference other than it turns on faster. I feel like a lot of people jumped on the blogger bandwagon of saying Windows 8.1 is the new Vista and it was the worst thing ever. Aside from the Metro interface, there were no major compatibility issues, things actually got faster, the layout was cleaner, and no major driver issues with Windows 8. Now Vista had several major compatibility issues with drivers, software, etc. But that was expected with the first major push to 64 bit.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
The only think I have a hard time with is the Metro GUI. When you add the 3rd party Start button, it makes it much easier. I just have a difficult time when all of the programs are divided into sections. I don't know why, but I can't find them. If I played with it, I would likely love it. I will have to play with Edge on 10, but I do like the web browser on 8.1.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 86
Member
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 86 |
I still don't get all the hate for Windows 8/8.1. I've thrown on classic shell and people don't notice the difference other than it turns on faster. I feel like a lot of people jumped on the blogger bandwagon of saying Windows 8.1 ... I agree. Vista all around was just an unpleasant experience. But re Windows 8.1, I actually prefer it to 7. Visually it's more pleasing to me (though I do hate the metro UI). To avoid the metro UI I set third party apps as defaults to open my files. Sometimes I accidentally display the metro UI, but since I'm getting better with my keyboard shortcuts I know to just press the windows key + d, and that takes me back to my desktop. The search function in Windows 8.1 is pretty fast and useful. I keep my most used programs pinned to the task bar (I don't miss the start button at all), everything else I just run a search for (for example, if I want to use paint, I press the search key on my keyboard, type 'paint,' press enter, and voila it opens). Finally, I really like the new task manager; it display a lot of info and it's easier to read. I'm going to hold off on 10. Surely it has at least a few bugs/security issues that I don't feel like running into. I owe a 'thank you' to all the early-adopters out there. 
Mario Office Administrator Pediatrics
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
I just rarely see bugs with new OS from Windows. Vista was a bug all in itself. As was ME.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 86
Member
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 86 |
Perhaps 'bug' isn't a specific enough word for what I wanted to say. I wanted to refer to compatibility issues I might experience with some of the software I've got installed in my current set-up.
Mario Office Administrator Pediatrics
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,316 Likes: 2
G Member
|
G Member
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,316 Likes: 2 |
Finally, I really like the new task manager; it display a lot of info and it's easier to read. Definitely, this was a major plus with Windows 8.1. I have to agree this way one of my new favorite things about Win 8.1. UI was cleaner and just more responsive than 7.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,084
Member
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,084 |
Bert, you don't need to wait until you see the icon in the system tray and wait until MS notifies you that you can install Windows 10. Just use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. The name is deceptive, you can download and install on the PC you are using.
John Internal Medicine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
Thanks John. That is awesome.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 41
Member
|
Member
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 41 |
I would hold up on the Windows 10 upgrade. I've run into an interesting issue that doesn't happen all the time, but has now hit me on 3 out of 8 computer upgrades to Windows 10 in the office.
Basically, the install of Windows 10 caused the erasure of Amazing Charts fully from the client computers, along with Microsoft Sequel, Open office and a few other programs. This happens on 1 computer on the initial install, and on the 2 other computers that required a 'restart' recovery after some initial problems after the installation.
I haven't installed it on the server yet as I was testing the issue out slowly.
If you are going to do the Windows 10 upgrade, make sure you've backed up any essential files to somewhere safe off the computer AND have a copy of AC ready for re-install.
I'll be trying out Windows 10 on the server after a back up this weekend. Then doing an upgrade from 8.2.2 next week.
Shankar Santhanam Family Med Lawrenceville, NJ Advisory Board Member
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
I don't know too much about the Win 10 upgrade, but there is a place where you choose if you wish to keep all of your programs and settings, etc. Since this is only happening on certain computers, you are probably already making those choices.
Are you using the main computer for other things besides AC? If not, why even upgrade it since it is working? Just a thought.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,889
Member
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,889 |
Jee--how long does it take to download this? I signed up a couple days ago on my spare (this) pc. Today I got an alert that it was "available" After several hours I still have the "Working on it" thingy.
Wayne New York, NY Hey, look! A Bandwagon! Let's jump on!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,211 Likes: 8
Member
|
Member
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,211 Likes: 8 |
I wish I could be in the room to see what's happening. I've already upgraded my two Surface Pro 3 computers and my desktop to Windows 10 and all happened without a hitch.
My Surface (the other is my wife's) and my desktop all have Visual Studio and SQL Server along with Office and several other apps. All were unaffected.
JamesNT
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
Jee--how long does it take to download this? I signed up a couple days ago on my spare (this) pc. Today I got an alert that it was "available" After several hours I still have the "Working on it" thingy. Have you seen ryanjo (John's) post above? Or tried it.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 310
Member
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2011
Posts: 310 |
I used this tool and was surprised that it actually worked. Took about 1 hour to complete the media and another 45 min to upgrade the computer - I was unable to get the windows 10 icon to appear in the lower right corner and found this on Cnet...
Todd A. Leslie, D.O.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
Yeah, it's funny since it can be downloaded without your permission. The people who get the icon don't want it, and those who do, well do. I finally got it on once computer out of 11. Guess the moon and the stars have to be aligned. You wouldn't expect anything like this with Microsoft.  But credit to John.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Member
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 28 |
Bert If it's not broke don't fix it is what I tell my docs. Win 7 will be supported for many years to come. There is a utility out that will remove the win 10 upgrade prompt. HP and Dell still deliver win 7 pro to the corporate buyers. If windows XP still worked with everything I would still be using it. Hate playing the MS game 
Denver Network Consultant
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 28
Member
|
Member
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 28 |
Denver Network Consultant
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34
Member
|
OP
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908 Likes: 34 |
Yeah, but it's fun breaking things.  No, that is always good advice.
Bert Pediatrics Brewer, Maine
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,889
Member
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,889 |
I just upgraded my Toshiba Qosmio to win 10. So far its working ok but I havent tried to print to my printer yet. I had once cluster-up. I couldn't get the laptop to shut down. It went into some type of limbo. Turns out that MS has made the shutdown button just Hibernate by default, and some error in it can send your laptop into shutdown limbo. I finally was able to change the options so that Shutdown is SHUTDOWN. I can specifically pick Hibernate or Sleep if I want to.
Wayne New York, NY Hey, look! A Bandwagon! Let's jump on!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,889
Member
|
Member
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,889 |
I don't know too much about the Win 10 upgrade, but there is a place where you choose if you wish to keep all of your programs and settings, etc. Since this is only happening on certain computers, you are probably already making those choices.
Are you using the main computer for other things besides AC? If not, why even upgrade it since it is working? Just a thought. I didn't get those choices. But my programs are still here and AC still works.
Wayne New York, NY Hey, look! A Bandwagon! Let's jump on!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,084
Member
|
Member
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,084 |
Another link if you want a "clean install" of Windows 10. Bottom line is: do the free upgrade to Win 10 first. Then use the Media Creation Tool to create an install DVD or USB flash drive. Then reinstall from the USB or DVD. On startup of the new Win 10 install, the OS gets certified as genuine by Microsoft via the internet. Each free install of Win 10 is linked to a specific hardware configuration, so you must do the free upgrade before the clean install. How to clean installl Windows 10. Installing Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself, but I will post back when I do.
John Internal Medicine
|
|
|
|
1 members (Ruben),
123
guests, and
95
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|