4,570 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#21623 06/08/2010 6:50 PM
SamK Offline OP
OP Offline
I have another question here. We have been using AC for a while but haven't really gotten too serious about the computer set-up. At present we have the AC database on one of our computer workstations instead of on a separate server, which I have been meaning to look in to further.

We don't have a whole lot of room in our office to put a server in a fancy temperature-controlled cabinet but once we shred our paper charts, we might have more room.

I was just curious about how other practices have set up their database servers.

What type of computer (Dell, HP, Gateway, etc.), stats (Ram, Processor, Hard drive), and what type of set-up (In special cabinet etc.)?

Thanks!

- S.K.

P.S. We are a small practice (only one physician/one office) so if anyone with a similar practice could share their set-up that would be helpful.

Samantha Kifer

Office Manager for Dr. Kate Thomsen
Integrative & Holistic Health & Wellness
I started out with ordering a Dell server but ended up returning it as I thought it was much more than I needed for AC. I originally bought it to run the monstrous eClinical Works, as they had high hardware requirements. AC is now running fine on a Dell Optiplex. You can use a regular closet but with a thermostat controlled fan to vent the heat if you go with a server.

Chris
Living the Dream in Alaska
Well, I lost my entire post, but if you asking about servers, I would only use Dell or HP. Personally, I would go with the Dell T610 which is the equivalent of the Dell Poweredge 2900, which was "the" server

As far as disk space, of course, get as much as you can as its cheap. It all depends on the RAID you choose, 1, 5 or 10 or a combination thereof. For instance a RAID5 will need at least three drives and you lose one drive of space no matter how many drives. A mirror (RAID1) only needs two drives, but you always lose 1/2 the space. A RAID10 is a nice RAID. But, you will need at least 120GB for the OS and I would get at least 500GBs for data.

The processor is a no brainer as any good server will come with at least two dual core or one quad core processors. I genrally go top minus one or two as that is the price break. As far as RAM goes, the more the better. If you get a 32-bit OS, you can only use 4GB of RAM of which only 3.2 will be used and SQL Express will grab 1GB. If you go with a 64-bit OS (great idea) you can put up to 64GB of RAM, way more than you need. I have 20 which is more than you need, but 12GB is perfect. Then, if you do get a lot of apps running SQL and you move up to SQL Server Workstation or Standard, then SQL will grab more and more of your RAM (what some call a leak -- which it isn't). But, you want SQL to grab a lot of RAM. If SQL is using 4GB of RAM, then AC and Sharepoint and Monitoring and Acronis and any other application you have using SQL will run fine.

Make sure you have a CD/DVD burner and make sure you have USB2.0 and eSATA ports and maybe even USB3.0 ports. AND, have a floppy disk even in 2010. They cost $5.00.
You don't really need a special closet. In fact, you don't need a closet at all. It's better for ventilation. Just put it anywhere.

Bert
Pediatrics
Brewer, Maine

Bert #21637 06/08/2010 10:28 PM
About physical location, you'll want to strike a compromise between ventilation, space constraints, and physical security.

Now that everything can be managed remotely for normal operations, accessibility is not the concern that it once was.

There are mid-size enclosures that have designed & built-in cooling, that are also bad-actor resistant. The majority of office break-ins are for drugs, or "smash & grabs" for easily hocked equipment. If it is bolted down and require tools to make off with them, most will leave them alone and go for monitors and such.

In working with a practice that is replacing computers, and while a Win7 Pro desktop & monitor is ~ $540 (check Dell deals) that would support 20 connections, the server software for 20 users is another $1200 - unreasonable.

If you can operate on 15 or less connections - MicroSoft (M$) Foundation server is a lower cost option.

The addition of near-line Network Attached Storage(NAS)for schedule backups, and remote backup will address near term operational stability.

Bert has covered backup fully and effectively, and that is arguably as important as the equipment that you run on day-to-day.

Indy
"Boss"

Indy's Blog

www.BestForYourPractice.com
Our Name is Our Creed
Indy #21638 06/08/2010 11:52 PM
http://tinyurl.com/microsoft-foundation

Indy makes some great points about closet space and using WIN7 and cost, etc. I hope I am not arguing with him. I am more trying to answer the actual question.

The question, if I understood it correctly, is "I am thinking of a server instead of a regular workstation and peer-to-peer setup. What would you recommend?" If the question were, "What would be the least amount of money to spend on a network and still get good functionality with AC, that would be a different answer.

The thread on the Foundation is an interesting one and gives the pros and cons of its use. I find it to be compelling.

Back to the question at hand. First, Indy makes very good recommendations on the physical space. I just want to make sure you don't obsess on the space requirements. Mine if two feet beside me. I wish I could find another place, but I can't. And, while I still remote into it all the time, there is nothing better than being directly in front of it. Of courses, I play with my server three times a day while others don't touch it for months.

OK, while a peer-to-peer setup with XP Pro (10 connections) or WIN7 (20 connections) is plenty (you could have 500GBs of space) 4 Gigs of RAM and a high-end processor, it is still not server software. Yes, a server OS would require CALs which are costly, but again that was the question so here is the answer.

Server computers with server OS are still more reliable, dependable and faster than workstations with WIN7. Do you need it? Probably not.

The analogy I would use is the following: If you work 20 miles from work in a warm climate with good roads, etc., do you need a Honda Civic or a BMW? Take your pick. They both will safely get you to and from work each day. They will both probably last 100,000 miles or more, and, given that you have speed limits, they both will likely perform about the same in what they need to do. It's just do you want to save money and get the Civic or do you want to spend more money and get the bells and whistles of the BMW?

Besides the fact that the server is going to outperform the workstation, it will have bells and whistles AND the platform to add more bells and whistles than the workstation. I think when people talk about servers, they look at the situation the same way they do backups.

When strategies for backups come up, they are always strategies based on the 100Mb compressed, encrypted little file made by AC backup. It is as if there is no billing data or scheduling data (if using another scheduler) or any other data on the computer. Just back it up to your thumb drive and take it home. We will talk more about that at the ACUC.

And, likewise, when we talk about networks and servers, etc., everyone talks about it as if the only thing that matters is AC. I will be fair here since I have brought it up twice. That was the question. What is the best server for AC? But, if I may have a little bit of liberty, if you are going to have to put together a network, and you are going to have to maintain that network, wouldn't it be more fun if the network were more fun? Wouldn't it be cool if the network were not only safer, more redundant and faster, but just all in all more fun. And, wouldn't it be cool if you could add things. (Man I wish I had another PCIx slot so I could add a DRAC card (Dell Remote Access Card). Those things are just way too cool.

So, what types of things am I talking about? I will show some at the ACUC. But, IF one decides to go with SBS 2003 or 2008 which comes with 5 CALs, you could do the following. First, you would have SharePoint. That is the company web that is so cool, words can't describe what it can do. Come to the ACUC. There is readily installed SQL Server Standard Edition if you use the premium editions. Different in each. There is Microsoft Exchange so you can host your own email and send Outlook email to users without violating HIPAA. AND...you are HIPAA compliant with email storage. I won't even get into security and group policies and Active Directory with its computers and users management. Tired of your MA changing her wallpaper to her cats and all of her grandchildren. Just one setting on the server. Want to change all the screen savers to one kind and have them pop up in 60 minutes, np. Should they auto lock. Same thing. Group policy.

Now, I am not saying that is worth the extra money. Just answering the question and giving some extra info as well.

But, I do see where Boondoc and Indy are coming from, and I think it is good to see the other side.

Bert
Pediatrics
Brewer, Maine

No fight here Bert; rather a broad based discussion to a rather broad question.

I saw the one physician practice, and was transported back to how I got involved with the small independent medical practice model; it was a $15K quote just to ready the network with hardware and software.

My experience is that there is always a vendor in a market is more than willing to over-quote and lead with *FEAR*; so I wanted to provide some alternatives for consideration.

My point about physical security comes from having walked into more than one facility after a break-in; besides the cost, disruption, and data-loss risk (in the absence of regular backups), there is a sense of violation, and having your most valuable stuff [patient and billing data] still bolted/locked down can help you get past those emotional impacts faster. Can you say *backups*? See Bert now, not later.

Side note - is AC coming out with a 64-bit port?

Indy
"Boss"

Indy's Blog

www.BestForYourPractice.com
Our Name is Our Creed
I don't know. I hope so.

Bert
Pediatrics
Brewer, Maine

Moderated by  ChrisFNP, DocGene, JBS, Wendell365 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 31 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
ffac 28
Bert 21
JamesNT 10
beagle 10
JBS 9
Top Posters
Bert 12,737
JBS 2,919
Wendell365 2,355
Sandeep 2,315
ryanjo 2,084
Leslie 2,002
Wayne 1,889
This board is dedicated to the memory of Michael "Indy" Astleford. February 6, 1961 -- April 16, 2019

SiteLock