I have to come up with one conspiracy theory each month.
I believe there are physicians in primary care who want to keep reimbursement rates as low as possible for their own greed.
In the past when there was a resolution to raise Medicaid rates to sustainable levels, there are always some physicians who objects.
The argument goes like this (I need background violin music): "There just isn't enough funds to go around. By raising Medicaid rates, it would hurt access to care by limiting the number of people qualifying for the Medicaid program. It would be wrong to hurt our most vulnerable populations, the children and pregnant mothers."
Believe it or not, this argument works!
I suspect that the people who say things like this are those who are benefiting from FQHC where they are given grants and reimbursed at much higher rates for seeing Medicaid patients that have limited access to care (because of the low reimbursement rates).
What do you think?
Last edited by Roy; 09/08/2007 2:50 AM.