Most Recent Posts
SQL server
by denvertech - 09/27/2026 12:51 PM
Laptops v. Desktops, what do users prefer?
by denvertech - 09/27/2026 12:46 PM
Electronic Signature Pad for Consent Forms
by denvertech - 09/27/2026 11:12 AM
Member Spotlight
DCubed
DCubed
Baltimore
Posts: 679
Joined: February 2011
Newest Members
peter smith, Christophe1776, Jun Valley Occ H, Michael Lara, DrDr
4,614 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#55745 08/03/2013 5:16 AM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 841
Likes: 2
koby Offline OP
Member
OP Offline
Member
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 841
Likes: 2
I have an old Panasonic phone system and am looking to replace it.
Need to have one that accepts 2 incoming lines, has 'automated attendant' at least 3 voicemail boxes with good memory capacity , 3 in office phones with ability to page any phone from another
Be reasonably priced i.e. not $2000, and be programmable by me and easy to install i.e. DIY.
Any suggestions out there?

koby #55752 08/04/2013 2:59 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 386
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 386
Hi koby,

I have a 15 year old PBX that is maxed out, but free now. If I needed to upgrade I would look into VoIP, especially if I had reliable and fast Internet.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/260859/voip_buying_guide_for_small_business.html?page=0

http://www.voipreview.org/best-business-voip-system

http://business-voip-review.toptenreviews.com/



Dan
Rheumatology
koby #55758 08/04/2013 8:40 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908
Likes: 34
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908
Likes: 34
Koby, you get what you pay for. For VoIP, I would at least look at a hosted version. You don't uses lines, you have seats, which would be difficult to explain. But, it will do everything you are talking about and MORE. But, it could be pricey


Bert
Pediatrics
Brewer, Maine

koby #55768 08/05/2013 11:34 AM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 446
Likes: 2
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 446
Likes: 2
Koby,

We had a new phone system installed not too long ago. We have about 8 phones, voice mail system, automated attendant during lunch and night hours. I think we got the most basic system and there was no way we could have installed it ourselves. Even setting the configuration of the phones, attendant and VM was not easy - the phone people did it and looking through the manual afterwards, it was not something you want to do yourself.

They did hook the phone system up to our network, so we could change the attendant & VM settings through the computer instead of navigating through the buttons on the phone.

That was my experience. I don't know if there's another simpler system that has all those features aside from using an internet one like Onebox. (Looked into it but could not port our numbers and really did not want new phone numbers.)


Serene
Office Manager
General Pediatrics
Houston, Texas
koby #55772 08/05/2013 12:08 PM
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 679
Likes: 1
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 679
Likes: 1
I had an old Panasonic system that I loved. When it died 3 years ago, I replaced it with a similar system. It is a standard phone system, not VOIP. It is an Avaya Partner system. We have had no problems with it. It has many modules that can be added to the central box, depending on your needs. I have 3 lines and 6 in office phones. It cost about $1600 with installation. I think you can buy these online and self install if you are handy enough.

I am a little reluctant to do VOIP as I like having a system that is still usable in case of a power outage. Although, I am increasingly tired of the ever rising Verizon bills.


Donna
koby #55773 08/05/2013 12:17 PM
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 520
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 520
I use 8X8 for my voip and we like it a lot!


Ketan R Mody MD
Elite Sports Medicine Institute, Ltd
www.ELITESMI.COM
Westmont IL
koby #55776 08/05/2013 1:20 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 442
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 442
koby,
I've been using a bizfon 680 POTS system with 2 incoming lines and 6 extensions for the last 10 years. It has auto attendant and voice mail boxes. eBay has these systems frequently - you could likely get a used system for $500-$1000


...KenP
Internist (retired 2020)
Florida
koby #55782 08/05/2013 4:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 241
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 241
Originally Posted by koby
I have an old Panasonic phone system and am looking to replace it.
Need to have one that accepts 2 incoming lines, has 'automated attendant' at least 3 voicemail boxes with good memory capacity , 3 in office phones with ability to page any phone from another
Be reasonably priced i.e. not $2000, and be programmable by me and easy to install i.e. DIY.
Any suggestions out there?
If you want to play tech:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AT-T-Merlin...ne_Sets_Handsets&hash=item27d5e28611

I have been using a Merlin 410 system for 30 years and had good luck overall. Replaced the main unit with used from eBay a year ago.

Greg

koby #55787 08/05/2013 6:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908
Likes: 34
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,908
Likes: 34
I like Serene's.

It depends exactly what you're looking for (which I know you listed). It's like anything else. There are auto-attendants and then there are auto-attendants. Some have a queue (which is extremely nice), some don't. With VoIP, you have unlimited voice mail. If you connect the phones to a Power Over Internet switch and connect the switch to a high wattage backup, you don't lose your phone service either. (Until 90 minutes or so). The things you can do with VoIP are VERY helpful and very cool. I know you don't want to pay for cool. smile

One of the coolest things ever is being able to take a phone and plug it into Internet in Japan and it is a local extension phone. Can be used at home. Problem is every phone is a monthly charge.

If it has to be installed, it is probably a very good phone system.

CAVEAT: Just one side of the story. I am sure all of the other suggestions can work just as well. Not trying to belittle them.


Bert
Pediatrics
Brewer, Maine

koby #55816 08/06/2013 1:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,128
Member
Offline
Member
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,128
When I opened the office, I installed an "AT&T 1070 small business system". I think I got this at Best Buy. I have since expanded by added more phones. They have intercom, 4 lines, and the phone company set me up with mailboxes. This was a few hundred dollars, whereas the phone company wanted thousands to set up their system.


Chris
Living the Dream in Alaska

Moderated by  ChrisFNP, DocGene, Wendell365 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
Bert 12,908
JBS 3,002
Wendell365 2,370
Sandeep 2,316
ryanjo 2,084
Leslie 2,002
Wayne 1,889
This board is dedicated to the memory of Michael "Indy" Astleford. February 6, 1961 -- April 16, 2019




SiteLock
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5